Chief Executive John Lee said on Friday that the scheme aimed at luring global talent could be expanded further, as his administration is set to review the programme later this year.
The Top Talent Pass Scheme, officially launched in December last year, is currently open to people who have earned a salary of HK$2.5 million or more in the past year, or graduates from the world’s top 100 universities and who have at least three years of work experience over the past five years.
“In view of the enthusiastic response to this scheme since its launch less than three months ago, I have instructed the relevant departments to conduct a mid-term review in the middle of this year,” Lee told a seminar attended by Hong Kong pupils studying in Beijing.
“We will actively consider – on top of the current list of the world’s top 100 universities – to include more outstanding schools from overseas or the mainland. I believe there will be more key mainland institutions being considered.”
Lee also urged the students to tell a good Hong Kong story to mainlanders, and encourage them to come to the SAR.