Premier League outfit Aston Villa have seen an opening offer for a key member of the attacking ranks at Bayer Leverkusen rejected, according to reports.
The player in question? Moussa Diaby.
For those not familiar with his name, Diaby is a gifted attacker who generally lines out on the right wing, but is also more than capable of occupying a more central role.
The 24-year-old is fresh off another fine season in Germany, which saw him rack up 14 goals and 11 assists across all competitions.
He was also a member of the French national team squad which came within a penalty shootout of lifting the World Cup late last year.
In turn, on the back of the summer transfer window swinging open, it has not come as a massive surprise to see speculation surrounding Diaby’s future begin to mount once more.
A whole host of clubs from across the continent are understood to hold an interest in the services of the versatile winger, with one such outfit, as alluded to above, having this week gone as far as to table an offer for his signature.
As per transfer expert Fabrizio Romano:
‘Understand Aston Villa official bid for Moussa Diaby was €35m plus add-ons’.
Unfortunately for Unai Emery and co, however, this proposal was swiftly rejected by the powers that be at Bayer Leverkusen.
This comes with the Bundesliga side holding out for a more lucrative fee.
Nevertheless, negotiations remain ongoing between the two clubs, with Diaby himself having already made clear his intention to take his talents to Villa Park this summer.
Understand Aston Villa official bid for Moussa Diaby was €35m plus add-ons — this is the real fee. 🚨🟣🔵 #AVFC
Bayer Leverkusen rejected but told the negotiations are still ongoing, deal ON.
Diaby wants the move, he already said yes to Villa and Leverkusen are aware of that. pic.twitter.com/YqEdw7rTRl
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) July 13, 2023